Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Classical Tomorrow

Classical Christian education is an approach to learning which emphasizes biblical teachings and incorporates a teaching model from the classical education movement known as the Trivium, consisting of three parts: grammar, logic, and rhetoric

From the Wikipedia article.

As I sit here and write this post, my children are most assuredly spilling cracker crumbs all over the floor.  My oldest is running around screaming "SIT DOWN" to my 1 year old.  I don't have it all together.  I don't claim to, infact sometimes I wonder if I have ANY of it together.  I do know I love every second  okay most seconds(you should have seen my middle child yesterday after our darling oldest decided to give her a haircut) of my life.  I LOVE homeschooling my kids.  Teaching was my major, teaching was my passion.  Every opportunity to teach I take-it EXCITES me!  

Just 4 years ago my oldest started to read.  at 2!  I hadn't even thought of how I would homeschool yet, I still had some idea in my mind that I would be able to teach my kids and teach other kids at the same time and had no idea how I would do it!  She took off like a rocket, reading book after book and at 3 I couldn't keep up, I decided to start her in Abeka K.  I didn't like Abeka, I felt there were too many gaps, it was too simple.   They didn't memorize the blends, digraphs (phonograms), and it bugged me.  A dear friend of mine showed me Christ Centered Phonics and I fell in love!  We have continued with it now for 3 years.  This is our 4th, and our oldest is thriving.  6 years old and reading at a 5th grade reading level.  A few years ago I started to study classical education.  I LOVED the idea, the stages of learning really made sense.  It all made sense, why don't the public schools teach like this anymore?  I yearn for the day when the school systems will realize what they have done and go back to where they should be. 

2 years ago a friend from my church decided to try out "Classical Conversations".  Just following the curriculum, not really doing an official "community", but they met together.  6 weeks into the school year I started coming just for small portions of it, and once again I found what made sense.  Our friend started the community last year and it was such a huge blessing!  My oldest's tutor was so amazing, he made it fun, engaging.  I love the program, everything about it.  This year, more people heard about it and got on board, my director asked me to become a tutor and I agreed.  This year will be my first year as a tutor.  I am so incredibly stoked at this blessing!  I never thought that God would come up with such a brilliant plan for me to have everything!  I get to homeschool my children, and enjoy teaching others?  He has worked it all out for me perfectly.

 I was asked by several people if I blog.  And the truth is I have tried.  I usually get this far, a nicely done blog.  a first post.  maybe another few posts in the same week and then *spzzzz* it fizzles out and I don't get to it for another year or so.  In the last 7 months or so, I have had so much I wanted to share and no where really to share it.  I thought maybe now I will start a blog and actually want to keep it up.  We'll see.  At least now I have a place where I can share my ideas.  My files.  The things I make for us, that I know would bless others!  Maybe all of you can keep me accountable.  Remind me to share :)  Thanks for looking, and have a super blessed school year!

Sheri Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment